Tuesday, August 5, 2014

An interview with the amazing author Claribel Ortega!


Claribel, I understand that before you wrote your first novella you were a journalist. What did you write for and did you feel like going from journalism to writing your first novel was a natural progression?

I was a reporter for The Rivertowns Enterprise in Westchester County NY. I covered a few towns on everything from elections to school board meetings to toothbrushes for gorillas (haha not kidding). I never expected to write a book to be honest, and I knew I wouldn't unless I felt I had a really strong story to tell. When the idea for the Emerald Kipp books came along I just couldn't stop thinking about it or writing about it, so that's how I knew it was something I needed to do. Looking back now, I would say things kind of fell into place for me to write, although it didn't feel that way during the process. 


Do you feel as though your journalism background has helped with your writing process?

Absolutely. I think as a journalism student, I really had a lot of the principals of writing drilled into my head. I also had to write a lot and on deadline which always helps. Since my book has so much history in it, the research element was definitely made easier from the skills I picked up as a reporter. Not to mention the infinite amounts of patience it takes to be an author and to try and get your work published. Reporters are not always popular as you know, and I had my fair share of doors slammed in my face, but that helped me develop a thick skin for the rejection that inevitably comes with being an author.  

In your novel you write in two different time periods, 1600's and the 1980's, both of which you had to have done research for. Did you hit the library for both or did you talk to those that lived through the 80s for more personal experience?  ;)
I did both. I have friends and family who grew up in New York City in the 1980's so I used them as primary sources. I also spent a lot of time in the library researching and actually visiting some of the sites where the book takes place and speaking to the members of the historical societies there and gathering material that way. I went to Salem, and spoke to practicing Wiccans, and that really gave me a good understanding of the root of their religion and influenced me to make nature a more central part of my magical systems. 

Which character did you like developing? Margo, Emerald or is it a tie?
I would say it's a tie, because I can't pick favorites and also because they are a lot alike in many ways. Not superficially, but when you get down to the essence of what makes each character who they are; bravery, love of family, selflessness, - Emerald and Margo are one in the same. 

Who did you more closely relate to?
Emerald! Because she is stubborn :) and also because she is a huge music fan and music is my life. 

What made you decide to take the self publishing route for your first novel?
The Skinwalker's Apprentice was always meant to be a tool to help spread the word about my upcoming series, and I never intended to have it published traditionally because to me it was just a teaser of what was to come. I have a lot of resources because I work for a book marketing company as well, so I knew having a book under my belt to approach people with at the book fairs and expos I attend all year would be a big help. I hope in the future to have it republished along with the series. 

Was there a conscious decision to write in the paranormal genre?
Not really, it just sort of unfolded that way because I had just written a children's book about a witch who couldn't use the potty (haha) and I had witches on my mind I suppose. 

You can tell that there is time, dedication, and research in your writing, your characters are beautifully written and jump off the page, how long does it generally take your process of writing from conception to research to published novel? 

Thank you so much for those kind words. For The Skinwalker's Apprentice it was different because I had already written half of book one (Emerald Kipp & The Riddle of The Timekeeper) when I took a step back and wrote the novella. So I already had hundreds of pages worth of research to pull from when I began writing. That being said, the novella took me about 4 months total from conception to publication. Emerald Kipp & The Riddle of The Timekeeper took be about a year and a half. 

With your novels taking place in New York I am sure you have a lot to glean from...do you get a lot of inspiration from your amazingly busy city?

Yes absolutely. I love New York so much and I think it's one of the greatest cities in the world. There is a certain magic about it, and I wanted to capture that in my books. I hope I do it justice! It's the reason the series is called The Empire Witch Series, and why my soon to be released artwork features a witch holding an apple. New York (The Big Apple, The Empire State) is central to the story, it's another character in itself. 

Ok quickfire questions:

1. Where did you grow up? Bronx, NY 
2. What would you do if your couldn't write? Cry...and maybe also be a dance instructor. I danced for most of my younger days! 
3. Where is your ideal place to write? Someplace near the water, preferably with a plate of cheese nearby and a cold drink. 
4. If you could be paranormal, what would you be? A witch, duh :) 
5. If The Skinwalkers Apprentice was made into a movie, who would you want to play Emerald and Margo? I've always pictured Emerald as Sky Ferreira. She's a singer and actress and when I picture Emerald I picture her. Since she is a singer, I think she'd understand Emerald's connection with music, plus she's amazingly talented so I know she'd do an amazing job. For Margo, Hailee Steinfeld from True Grit would be amazing or maybe someone like Hannah Gayle Marks who had a part in the latest Spider Man movie.

https://www.facebook.com/ClaribelOrtegaAuthor?fref=nf

No comments:

Post a Comment