Monday, September 22, 2014

The Promise By Apryl Baker




I am, for better lack of a word, paranormal girl. I love the paranormal, I obsess over it, I breath it. In short I live it. I blame my mother. I really do. The woman raised me on Stephen King! Needless to say para books are by far my go to for a good comfy read. There are a lot of great paranormal reads out there, Apryl Baker most assuredly has her pulse on that corner market. With her Ghost Files series she brings us spooks. With The Promise she introduces us to the world of Witches. A coven straight from Salem it's self, moved down the coast to protect its self from would be witch hunters. 

We start with a dead sister and a curse and some kick ass shoes. Intriguing to say the least. We are introduced to the sister via her journal and memories of her sister CJ. The main character in the story.I liked CJ well enough, she was like able but the constant reminders that she didn't believe in the coven or magic were totally unnecessary. After about the 15th time a threw my hands in there exasperated Ok! We get it! However, other than that, she's a good strong character. She's not oh-poor-woe-is-me. Although her taste in men is something to be desired. 

The writing is well paced. Although you learn about the curse about half way through the book, its the last few pages that you really learn everything behind it. It's those last few pages that made this book amazing. It was hit after hit. Didn't see it coming, didn't see that coming either.

I would have loved for a different ending with who she ended up with. It was very much a "nice guy finishes last". I will admit that bit was frustrating. However, I won't go into detail as I don't like spoilers. 

It's a good quick read and for that I give it 4 stars. Good characters, good plot, lovely twists and turns through out the book. The Promise wasn't the Ghost Files as I had secretly hoping, but it was still a fun ride. Good to read, but you won't be blown away. 

Happy Reading! 






















Amazon US
Amazon UK
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment